TSC Conclusion

Here you will find the results of our on-going experiment in order of submission.

Some truly gifted individuals have participated and we couldn’t be happier with the outcome so far. Be sure to visit each artist’s site to check out the rest of their work.



The Red Door

When we discussed exactly what direction we wanted to go for The Spinning Clones project… Blake and I agreed to create a very open soundscape in which we could play freely. Some of the music that we’ve written together has had a very pop structure and we decided to escape in this one. It seemed true to the project to do our best to maintain chance elements in our creative process. Essentially, Blake created a few versions of the remix of which I chose one that maintained the beauty and simplicity of the original melody. The Red Door was just a little note that I’d made to myself last year and had kept in my back pocket to use in a song at some point. I laid a vocal idea over the track in garage band and ended up really liking where the first take went. The final recording was simply a replication of the first vocal take with a little fine tuning.

Read the Dallas Observer’s review of The Red Door.


The Project Plan

I’d just started Hold On the night before The Spinning Clones asked me to contribute to a collective recording project where several musicians would take turns re-envisioning one of their tracks. Hold On was already looking to be a gritty departure from my usual sappy indie crooning, so I thought it would make an apt pallet for taking the original Spinning Clones sample far from it’s whimsical origin. My mix was already guitar-heavy, so I EQed Andrew’s acoustic guitar out as much as I could and focused on Anne’s vocal layers. Those were still in a different key and a different meter, so I cut them down to a 2-note snippet that fit harmonically and then digitally stretched it to fill the space I’d carved out. She comes in at about 1:20:

Hold On



When I first heard the entire original song, “le meow” from The Spinning Clones, many ideas rushed to my head. None of them were realized, I’m a lazy bed room composer. How lazy? I sampled 3 key parts. You read that right, only three, and all taken from the first 30 seconds of the song. I used the guitar’s first few notes and the beautiful vocal harmonies. Of course I would torture these three lonely samples to death! I mashed them, I added delay, I rearranged them, I changed their pitch, tempo, and countless other secret techniques that I will share in a seminar for a very low price (that last part was a joke). While listening to the song you’ll notice that I have a rather short attention span due to the rapid changes and length of the track. The main thing is, I had fun making and sharing it! Enjoy!




In regards to my process, I can’t really explain it, but I can mimic almost anything I hear as long as it isn’t too complicated (like 32nd notes.) I have Asperger’s
Syndrome which is a type of high-functioning autism. I’ve always had a
gift for hearing music and being able to grow melodies and harmonies
and such. I fell in love with the singing and wanted to focus on that
particular section of the song. I love to write music you can dance to
and it was great actually working with a vocal sample. I mainly put
together instrumentals.

All of the instruments used were from a VST called Nexus 2 and I used Cakewalk Sonar X1b as the sequencer. I used a guitar instrument from Nexus 2  to perform the
guitar part from the original file, and the melodies of the other
instruments more or less just formed themselves as I was working on
the piece. I had just finished writing 24 tracks of this type of music
in 10 days (From Alpha to Omega) and I was still in this particular
mood of style (dance music).